Washington Ignition Interlock Information

If you were arrested for drunk driving in Washington and convicted of a DUI (Driving Under the Influence), your license will be suspended. In the State of Washington an ignition interlock device equipped with a camera is now mandatory for all DUI convictions. Any and all vehicles that are driven by the person need to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed. The courts and/or the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) decide how long the IID is required to be installed in the offender’s vehicles. The length will vary depending on offense, but it is generally at least one year with a first offense, at least five years with a second offense and at least ten years with a third or subsequent offense.

To obtain your Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) you must install an ignition interlock device in all vehicles you drive and have your ignition interlock provider send proof of installation to the WA DOL. You will also need to provide proof of financial responsibility such as a Certificate of Insurance (SR-22) and complete a Restricted Driver License Application that includes a payment of $100 at a driver licensing office or by mail with a check to: Restricted Driver License, Department of Licensing, P.O. Box 3907, Seattle, WA 98124.

The DOL will hold on to your application for 30 days in order for you to submit required documents. Once processed you will receive your IIL or a notification of denial.

This special license can help offenders continue their normal work routines when their regular driver licenses have been suspended or revoked. Some offenders may receive an occupational/restricted driver license in addition to the IIL. In order to obtain an IIL, the driving record of the offender must show an arrest or conviction involving drugs or alcohol for DUI or physical control, vehicular assault or vehicular homicide. They must have a valid Washington driver license or be on active duty with the military in the state; they must have a Washington state residential address and their current arrest or conviction cannot include minor in possession, reckless driving or habitual traffic offender (suspended 1st degree).

In order to have your IID removed by the Department of Licensing (DOL), your ignition interlock company must verify that you have had no violations in the past four months. A violation can be considered if you attempt to start the vehicle with a breath alcohol content of 0.04 or greater, fail to take or pass any required test or fail to get scheduled maintenance, repairs, calibrations, monitoring, inspection or replacement of your IID.

Each case may vary depending on the details of your offense or court order. If you have questions, do not hesitate to give us a call at (877) 275-3974.

Back to State Requirements